COVID-19 UPDATE: In spite of the pandemic, our office remains open and our hours are the same. Please call us today so we can best accommodate you. We hope you and your family stay and remain safe.

Manhattan: 212-668-0100 Long Island: 516-535-6666
Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx/Staten Island: 718-SERIOUS(737-4687)

Available 24/7 | Free Consultation

No Fee Until We Win

Serious Injuries And Accidents Require
Serious Lawyers

HomeBlogsCar AccidentsWhat Compensation Can I Get for Hit and Run Injuries?

What Compensation Can I Get for Hit and Run Injuries?

Although most drivers who get into an accident stop and remain at the scene, many keep going. If you were injured after a hit and run accident in the Brooklyn, New York area, you need to know your options for recovering compensation.

New York Is A No-Fault State

It’s important to know that New York is a No-Fault state when it comes to auto insurance. This means that if you are involved in a hit and run accident that renders you injured, you may be able to recover compensation from your own insurance policy in your own household if you or anyone else in your household owns an automobile.

What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover?

Generally, all of your expenses related to your injuries after a hit and run accident are covered by No-Fault insurance. You can recover compensation for the following expenses:

  • Ambulatory services
  • Dental services
  • Diagnostic testing
  • Hospital expenses
  • Medical services
  • Psychiatric and physical rehabilitation costs
  • Surgical services
  • Treatment that relates to religion
  • Lost Wages
  • Pharmacy bills

Filing A No-Fault Claim

You must file your No-Fault claim within 30 days after the accident. Your insurance company must receive written proof about your injuries and any and all treatment you have received. You can also recover lost wages if your injuries render you unable to work.

Can I Also Sue For My Pain And Suffering And My Permanent Injuries?

Yes. You may be able to proceed against your own motor vehicle insurance company in your household outside of court at an arbitration hearing under the “uninsured motorist endorsement” of the household policy. If there is no motor vehicle in your household, you can file a claim with a New York State agency set up to handle uninsured/hit and run claims where there is no known insurance. This is known as the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation.

Hands-On New York Attorneys You Can Actually
Talk To

Were you seriously injured or have you lost a loved one in a fatal accident? We’re here to answer any of your questions and help evaluate your legal options. Schedule your free consultation today.

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields


This website contains “attorney advertising”. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.

The web site is designed to provide general information only and to help in the choice of appropriate legal counsel. The information contained herein should not be construed as legal advice. Legal jurisdictions differ on major and minor aspects of the law and each legal situation is unique; requiring that all legal situations be addressed with qualified legal counsel. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

Submitting or receiving information or questions through this web site does not create an attorney client relationship. No attorney client relationships will exist unless you meet with one of our attorneys and sign a retainer agreement. Please do not submit any information that is case specific, personal or confidential.

If you have legal problem or issue you should always consult with a qualified lawyer experienced in the appropriate area of law. We would be glad to discuss your specific situation with you, should you so desire. Please fill out the contact form and we will respond to you.